Friday, September 7, 2012

What is the cure for very sore feet?

The past two days have been very long for me. A day of travel meant I was missing a two days worth of news. Luckily nothing major happened in the world of Kpop and Youtube has all of the speeches from the DNC. I think the most important thing was the Downton Abbey premiere date. September 16, come to me sooner.  So let's have a look at what has been going on for the past few days, yes?

Wednesday:
This was travel day. My flight left at 6:17 pm from O'Hare and landed at Heathrow a little around 8 am Thursday London time. I did not sleep on the flight at all. I tried. I honestly tried. I just couldn't do it. During the breakfast meal I had coffee so that helped me.

Thursday:
I got through Immigration and Customs fine. The man, a Scot, who let me through asked what I was studying. I told him History. He then asked what I specialized in and I told him Victorian. We then started talking while waiting for the system to clear me. After I got my bag and got out of the terminal, I found my way to the Underground and bought a ticket. I got on the train right as it was leaving. 40 some minutes later I got off and walked 10 minutes to where I had to check in. It was a little before 10 am by this point. I got my keys and proceed to walk 5 minutes to Hyde Park Gate.

The residence is right across Hyde Park. One of my goals in life was to live right by Hyde Park. Clearly this goal has been made already. It took me a while to get in because the keys are complicated. I then proceeded to the Third Floor which is where I live in Room C. The entire floor is a flat and there are multiple rooms for living. In total there are about 17 of us students living here and sharing one kitchen, a study area, and a common area. Please note: that TV is reserved to ME when Doctor Who, Merlin, and Downton Abbey are on. If anyone asks why I need to watch it, I already have a list of reasons why prepared.

I was the first person to arrive in the flat so I got everything unpacked pretty fast. And then I waited for more people to show up. My first roommate showed up after noon. My second roommate arrived today because she had her flight from JFK to Heathrow canceled. After my roommate unpacked and got ready, we registered. The house where we registered is also where we have all of our classes. After registration, we went with a group of people on a local amenities tour.

After that happened, my roommate and I went back to our flat and we relaxed for a while. She went with other girls to get phones and I stayed in my room. Please note that by this time I have been up over 24 hours. The 10 minute nap does not count. We had a floor meeting to go over policies and rules and then we were free to do whatever. My roommate and I went to Whole Foods and I got some watermelon to eat for the night and for breakfast. That was then followed by the shower from Hades/Hoth. After that, I crashed.

Ah sleep.

Friday:
Friday was Orientation Day. Everyone who works at the program is super nice and helpful. The area we are living in is perfect for celeb spotting. Will and Kate, excuse me, Will and Katherine, will be moving into Kensington Palace soon. However I was still tired and my body hurt. I walked back to the flat and took a nap. No shame there. After I woke up, the second roommate came and we all talked. She and I are in two of the same classes so that's good. I decided to go get groceries. By groceries I mean pasta. However, another girl was leaving to go get a phone. We decided to go together. I went with her to get a phone. Then we went to McDonald's so I could eat. After that we walked to Waitrose and I got my pasta and other food to last me for the week hopefully.

Today, compared to yesterday, was more a relax day. Saturday is going to be crazy with a guided walking tour of the area in the morning and then a guided bus tour of London in the afternoon. However the night will be for Doctor Who and I am so happy to watch it on British TV for the first time ever. There was actually a girl who shouted out Doctor Who during Orientation and the man who was speaking to us said that the new series just tarted and people can watch the episode on iPlayer. Come to me fellow Whovians. Come to me.

The one thing I am worried about is that the people I am living room in general are people who keep talking about going out and partying. I can understand that but at the same time I am not comfortable in that area at all. I am here to learn and see the history of the city not party and get drunk right away. I'm not like that at all and I don't think I ever will be. I am pretty sure I will be becoming best friends with local libraries to study or the 24 hour computer lab at one of the residences.

Alright. I have some episodes of Parade's End waiting for me to watch. I have access to iPlayer now. This is exciting!


No comments:

Post a Comment