Monday, September 10, 2012

Getting lost is always the best policy

Today's post will be divided into three sections: A Trip North, A Parade, and Short Little Turn Around. There will also be pictures added.

Part One: A Trip North

Yesterday, I posted what my plan for the day was going to be. That changed this morning when I decided at 9 am that "Going to the British Museum would be a good idea!" And it actually was. I took the Tube to the Holborn Station and then walked to the museum. I noticed that there were a lot of local restaurants in the area near the museum. I knew the museum the moment I saw the gated entrance. The vast majority of the museums in London are free. The word free is a word that college students love, especially on a budget.

I only explored about a quarter of the museum within the hour I was there. I think my favorite exhibits were the following: Korea, China, Japan, and the clocks.


This right here is a replica of a hanok, which is a traditional Korean house. Inside the house is a sarangbang, which is a man's room for studying, writing poetry, and leisure activities. Women are not permitted inside the sarangbang. Instead, they have an anbang, which is where they do their daily activities. Besides the husband and family, other people are not allowed to enter unless they have permission. This is what a sarangbang looks like.


Another few things that I found interesting in the Korea section was a collection of Joseon era headgear, a collection of fans, and a wedding gown. 




The China section featured a lot of beautiful and artistic bowls and cups. The Japan section was a history of the country into the modern age. The clocks section was the chronological history of how clocks are made. 

After a while, I decided I should leave the museum. I now have a general feel to it and i can go back whenever I want over the course of the semester. As I was walking down the street, I saw a book store with a familiar name.


If you are familiar with the Dickens novel Bleak House, you know this name. 

After I took this, I decided to walk around the area and get myself lost. And I did just that. But it was so fun. I knew I hit the theatre district when I saw the theatre for Rock of Ages. I kept wandering around and then right in this little circle area I saw this:


Matilda: The Musical has been raved about since it opened. It will be opening in the US next spring and thankfully they are not adapting it for the US. They are keeping the show in tact

However by this time, the weather decided to turn on me so I left the area to head home to grab lunch. But if I had kept walking I would have found the land of Les Mis. Soon, darling. Soon.

Part Two: A Parade

There was a parade in London today that I watched on TV. Our Greatest Team was the name of it. What it was was this: a parade for the city to thank all of the Team GB athletes, volunteers, and organizers for the Olympics and for athletes, volunteers, and organizers to thank the city for being so supportive. I was really moved bu it because it really showed that London loved having the Games come back. It showed this city in a new light. My hope is that the legacy of London 2012 is a long lasting one. Our tour guide on Saturday told us that organizers have been calling it the 21st Century's Great Exhibition. The Great Exhibition of the Victorian Era, the brainchild of Prince Albert, showed the world what England was capable. These Games showed the world that London was this city of life, joy, love, and history.

Part Three: Short Turn Around

Earlier in the evening, I wanted to go find the tea shop that was recommended to me. I left during a peak hour, which was stupid of me, but I was able to manage. I went up to Bayswater and tried to find the shop but got lost. I couldn't find it, so I walked to the shopping centre to get a coffee. As I was waiting for my drink, I saw the shop. However, they were very busy and since I have no idea what kind of tea I want to drink for Sunday, I decided to come back early that day before Downton airs. 

Tomorrow I finally start classes. On Wednesday I see The 39 Steps. On Thursday I go to the cinema and am seeing Anna Karenina and trying not to cry over another Joe Wright film. Saturday I am hopefully going to be getting really cheap tickets for Sweeney Todd. Next week Saturday I plan on going on the free trip to Stonehenge and Bath. Stonehenge will make me think about The Pandorica and the ending of Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Bath will make me start searching for Mr. Tilney so I can discuss muslin with him. 

With only being here for a few days, I can confirm that I love London. I love getting myself lost and discovering new parts of the city. I love how each section has its own individual feel. This city is perfect for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment