Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thoughts from Places: Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens

Note: this is basically a week late. Sorry. I got sick and then this week was a long one. However, this entry is basically going to be a written "Thoughts from Places" video. If you don't know what "Thoughts from Places" is just know that it was initially started by John and Hank Green and are video blogs about various places. 

You would think that a very lush, green and beautiful park in a busy section of London would have noise. It doesn't. Well, that is a lie. There are a few places where you can hear noise from the city streets but that is it. If you go into the park, it is quiet and serene. For a moment, you forget that you are even in a city. All of a sudden you are surrounded by controlled nature and it is just beautiful.

I walked into Kensington Gardens last Thursday afternoon with the mission to find the Peter Pan statue. As I walked up the long path, I looked around and took in the surroundings. There are many pathways in the Gardens that lead to all over. On my left, I came to Kensington Palace, the childhood of Queen Victoria.  Victoria had a rough childhood in Kensington Palace. It was very strict and she was a lonely girl. There is a statue outside of the palace of her.


I left Victoria in her place and continued on my journey to find the boy who never grew up. I knew I had to turn right at one point so I turned to go towards the Round Pond. 


This picture shows me two things. The first thing is the nature and how peaceful it is in the area. The second thing would have to be the cranes in the distance. Even though I was in this controlled environment, there was still a city outside.


I continued on with my exploration of the park and finding Peter Pan.


I kept walking straight and ended up at the Italian Garden. 


The garden is basically a lot of fountains and places to site. Nevertheless, it was gorgeous. 


This picture right here is of the Long Water. The Long Water is one part of the Serpentine, the lake in Hyde Park. 


As I walked along the Long Water, there was a sign pointing towards the Diana Memorial. I knew that Peter was close. I continued walking and went under this shady portion of a trail due to a tree and looked to my right.



I found him. I found the statue of the boy who never grew up. My mission was over. 

However, I decided to continue on the path and explore the park. I went to the Diana Memorial and looked at how it was laid out. After 30 minutes of walking around the park and taking in the sights, I decided to leave and head back home. I ended up exiting the park at a very far location from where I lived. But I knew that I needed to find the way to Royal Albert Hall and then I would almost be home.





I think all I can say about Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens is this: how can such a beautiful place be located in such a busy city?

No comments:

Post a Comment