Friday, October 12, 2012

On meeting a legend and your favorite actor

Today, since it is still Friday as I am writing this, I went to the final night of the Josephine Hart Poetry Week and it was incredible. Also, a portion of this will totally make you jealous Ron Parker. I know you read this.

I got to the theatre around 7:15, picked up my ticket, and slowly processed that I was seeing Eddie on stage soon. While I was waiting I saw a man who looked like Simon Curtis, Elizabeth McGovern's husband and director of My Week with Marilyn (which is an amazing movie and you should do yourself a favor and WATCH IT RIGHT NOW). Turns out he was. Anyway, once the house was opened, I took my seat and let it settle that right in front of me would be Eddie.

The reading itself was amazing. Elizabeth is just....perfect. My love for her grew as she read words. Felicity is so gorgeous in person and so elegant. Derek Jacobi (because you have to use both names) reading poetry is something I  never thought I would see. But Eddie. Here we go. He read "Oh Captain, My Captain" and I literally died inside. In fact, everything he read was just lovely and perfect. Also, he read from "The Wasteland" and all I can say is this: wow.

After the show ended, I decided to wait around to try to meet Eddie. There were so many people there it was ridiculous. I was just standing when all of a sudden there was this huge commotion and I knew it was them.


By this time I was internally shaking. 


Also, this picture is Derek Jacobi.

I waited for a bit and then asked him for an autograph and I told him the reading was brilliant. He signed my little notebook and walked away to the next person. I successfully managed to maintain composure meeting Sir Derek Jacobi. If you have no idea who Derek Jacobi is, please educate yourself right now because he is a legend.


Tada! The signature of an acting legend.

I then made my way towards Eddie. It was insane. There were so many younger people around my age and a little older there just for him. Seriously everywhere he turned there was someone wanting a picture or his autograph. As I waited, I saw Simon lead Elizabeth out and a lady thanked her for doing this. This lady also flew in from the States to come to this. The things we do for our favorite artists. 

Then suddenly it was my turn. I asked for a picture. I would rather have a picture with him than a autograph. Autograph trying will be the Les Mis premiere which I will so be camping out for. Braving the cold to see the cast of the most highly anticipated movie musical adaptation of the longest running musical on West End is worth it. Anyway, I'm digressing. I asked for a picture and told him it was brilliant. My camera was being a butt but we are not going to discuss that. I told him I've been a fan since Tess and his response was "Wow. That was a long time ago." I know, Eddie. I know. You are talking to a girl who has been a Christian Bale fan since age 6.  The picture was taken and then he left. I finally met him. I met my favorite actor in the whole world.


A lot of my friends know how much meeting Eddie means to me. This was one of my goals studying here and I actually did. I saw my favorite actor read poetry and got a picture. I seriously can't believe this happened. This and meeting Joe Demspie are the two main things I need to accomplish. Okay. Meeting One Direction is on there and Union J (since I know where their hotel is and it's not that far from me). But I met my favorite actor. 

I think today has been the best day of my study abroad experience. Some people are here to have the easy semester and go out like every night. But I am here to go to shows and meet my favorite actors.

So who is next on the list? Arthur Darvill and Matthew Lewis since they are both in Our Boys. Once I figure out my fall break plans, I will figure out when I am seeing the play. 

Anyway, this night has been incredible and it honestly means the world to me. I can now delete this place holder image because it actually came true.




No comments:

Post a Comment