Thursday, October 18, 2012

1.4 miles and maybe a 1.5 miles later?

Doctor Who was filming in London. Immediately after seeing this online early Tuesday afternoon, I rushed to Twitter to find out where they were filming. They filmed a scene down by the South Bank. However by the time I found out about this, the crew, Matt Smith, and Jenna-Louise Coleman were at their new destination. I saw that they were maybe filming on Tottenham Court Road. I decided to go see for myself.

First of all, they were not there at all. Secondly, I walked the whole road. Thirdly, I ended up walking to Camden. As I searched for signs of my beautiful blue box, I noticed actually signs for Euston. Okay then Briana. I continued walking and walking and walking. I also passed someone who looked exactly like Matthew Lewis. If it was Matthew Lewis, WHY DID I NOT STOP HIM FOR HIS AUTOGRAPH?

As I walked, I noticed that I was in Camden. I went from Zone 1 to Zone 2. Oh boy. The nearest tube station was Mornington Crescent. I walked to it and then decided as the train was leaving the station that I wanted to go to the South Bank.


This is how far I walked everyone. 1.4 miles. I am crazy.

I got to the Westminster Tube Station and went to the bridge. Then, I walked through the mass of people and got to the South Bank walkway right by the Thames. As I walked I took in what I saw and I realized that this city might be massive but everything about it has a sense of character. I decided to walk virtually all of it. Walking along the Queen's Walk, I felt like I was in Paris again walking along the Seine. 

When I got to the end, I decided that it was a good idea to head home. I went up a few stars and then realized that I was now in Southwark. How did I know? On one of the city maps it mentioned Shakespeare's Globe (I'm seeing it Tuesday. Insert screams here.) I walked to the station, got on the Jubilee Line, and then made my way to Green Park so I could switch to the Piccadilly line for my return home.


I have no idea what the distance is with this part at all. But it looks like a lot. 

My mom and sister arrive this Saturday for a week. I'm already planning on where to take them. I think the first day will be Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park to help them get accustomed to London. Maybe if they are up for it we will go to the South Bank and walk along there. Who knows really?

My week break is coming up. While the vast majority of people are going to Europe (a.k.a. 99.9% of the people in this program), I am staying in London so I can do four pr five day trips. Here is what the schedule looks like.
  • Monday: Windsor 
  • Tuesday: The land of the Bard (we should all know what this place is called and yes I will most likely be sobbing and spending a fortune going to every place imaginable for reasons. Also so I can tell people back at North how it is in the Holy Land of Shakespeare. And by people I mean you Parker.)
  • Wednesday: Dover (and the reason is this: I want to wave to France on the White Cliffs of Dover.)
  • Thursday: York (HISTORY NERD DAY YEAH!)
  • Friday: Manchester, Bristol, or Liverpool (I really don't know yet.)
I have to book train tickets soon and look at what I want to do for each place but it's exciting. 



This is my favorite picture from my walk on the South Bank. 



No comments:

Post a Comment